Saturday, February 1, 2014

January Favorites 2014!

I feel like I'm really late in doing this, because it's already technically February, but when have I been one to follow the rules?

Always. Which is why I feel so uncomfortable. But whatever.

So, I thought I could do these monthly? I certainly have enough time on my hands! I will try to put the stuffs into five categories, which I will try to fill every month (Unless I don't have anything in one category; then I would put in an additional guest category. (Sound too structured and a bit claustrophobic? Good.)

1. Beauty

    Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream

Okay, this is actually way more expensive than I would usually spend, but it was around Christmas and things were happening and I got caught up in that blasted Sephora and then this happened. But I really love it for carrying around in my purse, and it smells like what I imagine the Coach store to smell like, or something outrageous like that. It goes on really smooth, lightly fragrances my skin (without overpowering my perfume), and moisturizes my skin for hours after. It comes in a tiny tube, and I'm about halfway through it, and I'm kind of having a mental breakdown. You know, the kind when you love the product, but would hate yourself too much for actually re-purchasing. I'm not emotionally able to handle splurging because I get attached to the product, but cannot really afford making it a staple in my beauty drawer. Oh, what a cruel, cruel world I live in.

     Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Basically having the same dilemma as above. I absolutely love the smell of this, and the bottle literally makes me tear up from the beauty. The website states, "The classic bottle signifies personal luxury and is a welcome addition to any dressing table" and it isn't wrong. It's light and slightly sweet, but at the same time is able to embody the signature seductiveness that is trademark of Chanel anything. I actually prefer this over the Chanel No 5, which is actually less expensive than the Mademoiselle. But it's such a light, pearly pink that compliments the fragrance SO well. I'd be lying if I said I don't pause and lovingly stroke the frosted glass and gilded edges of the bottle every morning before I put it on. I really have a problem. Help.

     Sweet on Paris by Bath and Body Works

I am terribly sorry, but I just looked on their website, and they discontinued the Sweet on Paris line. The link takes you to the main site, if you would like to check out their other fragrances (I REALLY love Velvet SugarPink Chiffon, and Enchanted Orchid). I'm actually raving about their entire lotion collection, and I actually find Velvet Sugar to be very close to the scent I'm talking about now. Specifically, their Aromatherapy Collection (The only lotions I use on my arms right now are from this collection). I love their regular lotions, and Sweet on Paris is my absolute favorite. The back of the bottle says, "An enticing medley of juicy blackberry, lemon meringue, and creamy vanilla, inspired by the sweet temptations of a Parisian patisserie." (There is a big stock on eBay of you want to try it out). It reminds me of sugary macaroons or white chocolate; light, yet extremely rich, confections. I always think of the song "Aphrodisiac" by Bow Wow Wow when I put this on.

     Noir Tease by Victoria's Secret

I got the travel size of this a while ago on sale, and I recently got really into it. Definitely on the pricey side for a body mist, especially for me. I know a few people who really like body mist, because they come in a large quantity for less, compared to perfume, but body mists are mainly just watered down. They don't last nearly as long, and so you have to actually use a lot more than you would perfume. This really evens up what you get for what you spend, and so I just prefer to apply a perfume once than a body mist regularly. However, I really do like the mists from Victoria's Secret, because they're usually high quality, and smell very exotic and unique. This one is boudoir-inspired, and blends black vanilla with crisp pear and gardenia. I like to spray it through my hair, which holds the smell all day and makes my hair not look like I don't care much about it!

    Volume Express The Falsies by Maybelline

I have another mascara that I really like by Benefit (which I got for free from Sephora on my birthday), but it was running out, and I definitely did not want to buy it for the actual price of $25. I was frantically looking for a mascara that worked as well, but I could get at the drugstore. I had heard really great things about The Falsies, and when I finally got around to trying it, and I LOVE IT! It admit, the funky-looking bent brush gets some getting used to, but the mascara gives you great volume, stays on even when you have a nervous breakdown and start crying on the highway (driving is hard man), and is super easy to wash off. It left no residue under my eyes, and took like three seconds to wash off. I think I've found the Chosen One.

   2. Music

     Marina and the Diamonds

I've heard a few of her songs over the past month or so, but this January, I've become obsessed. She has this great empowering feel to her lyrics that makes you want to wear a puffy tutu with a leather jacket and like kill someone, but in a good way. Her songs talk about oversexualization of women in the media, the stereotype of women as heartbreakers, and the paradox of loving pink. My favorite songs: Bubblegum BitchSex YeahPrimadonna, Teen Idle, and Starring Role.

     Lana Del Rey
Lana Del Rey has been pretty popular lately, especially with her addition to the Great Gatsby Soundtrack, and her solemn songs with twisted lyrics and insidiously cheery music. Her storylines for the songs are tortured, and feature heavy topics like falling in love with a criminal, drugs, drinking, depression, and the solace she finds in these things. My Favorite songs: Off to the RacesThis is What Makes Us GirlsDiet Mountain DewBody Electric,  Video Games, and Once Upon a Dream, which is the haunting theme song for the Maleficent movie!

     Lily Allen

Lily Allen's songs are a bit of a shock, because the lyrics are pretty crass, but the tune is very 60's pop, and listening to her makes me feel really happy, and not like I want to curl up and softly weep (Lookin' at you, Lana). Again, I have always known about her, but only recently have I really been <3 about her. Her songs are very sweet, but at the same time have an acidic bite that makes you smile. My favorite songs: Not FairF You, and Who'd Have Known (But be warned, the Who'd Have Known video is a bit.....unexpected)

    Lorde

I know some people who really don't like Lorde (yeah, you know who you are), but I really love her latest album, Pure Heroine (which I think is extremely clever), and her music is...well, different? It blends the traditional bedroom pop with flashes of lone vocals and electro-rock. Her music is sometimes made up of nothing but different pitches of her voice, and sometimes is blended with tech and the contrast is dark and beautiful; her lyrics are rattle-nerve and a bit languid, like floating in a dark pool of water. Many people got sick of her hit Royals (can we blame them?) but this left her album in its entirety underrated. My favorite songs: 400 LuxTennis CourtGlory and Gore, and The Love Club.

   S. J. Tucker

I've been a huge fan of SJ for a super duper long time, but this is about her new album Wonders, which blew me away. Her music is very fairy folk, with earthy beats and a smokey voice and style reminiscent of Fiona Apple, and with the heart of Joni Mitchell. Her website says her style is "Pixie Pirate Mythpunk Folk Rock", which is drool-worthy. My favorite songs (from this album, which is linked above and includes the full version of all the songs): Glashtyn Shanty, The Great Velocipede Migration, For Iago, and September Morning Bell (inspired by the book "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making")


3. Books

   The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Long title, I know. I had to type it twice, so I know better than anyone. But really, this is the cutest book I have read in a super long time! If you want to check out the detailed summary, click the link, but overall. It features a dragon/library hybrid, the Green Winds, the Leopard of Little Breezes, a strange boy named Saturday, a fickle and cruel little Marquess, and a brave heroine named September. The song by SJ that is based off this book, again, is called September Morning Bell (find link above ^^) If you're a fan of Alice in Wonderland, Golden Compass, Inkheart, or Howl's Moving Castle, this book is a must.

  Jane Eyre

Okay, okay, I know. She's a pompous nerd. How can she actually recommend a classic??? I actually re-read this this month (Don't look at me like that. There's a reason I'm going to major in Lit) and I think it is a such a fantastic book. It's full of dark secrets and the tale of a sad little orphan who finds her way over the course of many years, and I must confess, my favorite part is when she is little and gets brutally locked in the Red Room. It was such a terrifying scene and every time I read it, my heart beats a little faster as she gets more frantic to get out. Other favorites include the abbey in the mountains, and her encounter with the ghost of Thornfield. A truly gothic novel, I enjoy it thoroughly.

  Maggie: A Girl of the Streets

Probably the most underrated short novel ever. Like, seriously. I heard about it from history, and I was so interested, I decided to read it. It was written in the late 19th century by a man who wanted to uncover the tragedy of tenements and poor immigrant workers in Industrial America during the Gilded Age. Its a VERY heady book, and it is very sad. Maggie is a beautiful girl who "blossomed in a mug puddle", and is eventually forced into prostitution, and...well, I don't want to spoil anything, but you can infer that sadness is a big part of it. One part I particularly loved was when she looked up at the night sky and spat, "The moon looks like shit". I thought it was so sad that he conveyed her lack of hope through this, and it really stuck with me. It's short, but please take your time to read it? For me?

4. Food

  Butternut Squash & Coconut Chickpea Curry

I LOVE this recipe. I made it a few days ago, with help from my mom (It takes about seven hours to make with a crock pot, so I threw the recipe together and mom watched it while I was at school). I loved it, and I served it over rice, though I think it could be pretty good over noodles if needed. I also used soy milk instead of  coconut milk, because I really dislike coconut and thought it turned out great.

    Kale Strawberry Orange Smoothie

Anything added with kale is good, so I don't know why I included the recipe tbh. I just add kale, greek yogurt, and any fruit I have in my fridge. Raspberries, blueberries, banana, blackberries, tomatoes.....Okay, no tomatoes, but you get what I mean ^^ it's incredibly healthy, and nice and sweet.

   Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls

What? I do what I want. Just buy them, make them, and feel amazing. Eat them all the time if you want. Feed your chi.



Okay, so that was only four, but oh well. I really hoped you enjoyed it, because this list took awhile to make, and yeah. My fingers are super tired.




 

 























No comments:

Post a Comment