Thursday, April 25, 2013

You CAN judge a book by its cover

I always find it interesting when people say you cannot judge a book by its cover, WHICH IS COMPLETELY FALSE. I happen to know many people, myself included, that chooses their novels based 70% on the cover design! It would be lying to yourself if you said you didn't turn down the ugly Penguin Classic cover of Jane Eyre over the fancy hard bound leather. And the other 30% is based on how awesome the title is! A few months ago, I heard from Vlogbrothers about a book called  Ballad of the Whiskey Robber, which sounds so freaking pragmatic and incredible that I have dedicated all my time trying to persuade my library to order it.

Obviously, the cover is equally appealing.

And I understand that the saying is just a metaphor for human relationships and general anti-xenophobic, anti-stereotyping encouragement, but surely I can't be the only one that can't help but take it literally?

Speaking of books, I am in one of the greatest, yet worst, situations known to humanity: I have too many books to read. I just finished a physically painful WWII Auschwitz concentrations camp memoir called Night, which I was both sad and happy to be done with, and I'm also caught in literary limbo with this amazing book called Silver Linings Playbook, which besides the fanatic football references, is a delightful insight into the world of fragile sanity, therapists, love, and delusions of 'psychosis'. Next, I have to read Kite Runner, a required reading that people before me have seemed to enjoy, and about fifteen other books I foolishly snapped up at a thrift store. The stack sits there, haunting me, waiting to be read. All of them are chick lit however, and guilty pleasure books always fly by joyously, like eating chocolate cookies. Then there's The Book Thief, Brave New World, etc. until my brain implodes from culture overload.

I feel as though I will become completely broke by the time I finish my  list.

I don't REALLY need to eat, do I?


No comments:

Post a Comment